Subject: Re: SoC: NDIS
To: Alan Ritter <rittera@cc.wwu.edu>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2005 23:12:45
On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 17:34 +0000, Alan Ritter wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am very excited to announce my proposal to port NDIS from FreeBSD to NetBSD
> has been accepted by NetBSD and Google as one of the Summer of Code projects.
> I hope that by the end of the summer I won't have to plug my laptop in to get
> network access while I'm working on NetBSD :-)

Congratulations!

> I have some experience writing device drivers for both Windows and NetBSD,
> although I don't have any experience with network drivers.  I think I've found
> a good resource for this however, the src/sys/lkm/net/ethfoo/ driver.  Although
> this driver doesn't talk to any hardware it does demonstrate some network and
> Loadable Kernel Module issues.

Some time ago, I debugged the vr(4) driver.  After reading its
datasheet, the code was quite easy to understand, just in case you want
to see a driver that talks to real hardware ;)  (Others may be easy as
well with accompanying documentation.)

Good luck!

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>