Subject: RE: CVS commit: src
To: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
From: Gordon Waidhofer <gww@traakan.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2005 13:30:22

> hmmm... openat() could be used for the streamdirs but isnt openat() a
> generic relative adressing way?

'tis an existing API. We need no more APIs in the stew :)

> For the extra time attributes that might be handy i'll think of a
> VOP_{GET,SET}TIMES() proposal wich shouldn't be to hard to implement.

VOP_[GS]ETXATTR() and [gs]etxattr(). Once it's done, no more
fiddling need be done for a long, long time. The getxattr/setxattr
already dovetail well with what's happening with tar (see star).

Think about getxattr/setxattr like ioctl(). It is a "message"
carrier. It does not convery opaque data. The underlying
representation of any attribute (view) is the perogitive
of the underlying file system.

Linux now manipulates ACLs solely through getxattr()/setxattr().
All of the Linux file systems represent the ACLs differently
on disk.

Regards,
	-gww