Subject: Re: SoC: Efficient memory file-system
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2005 17:41:21
>> If you *must* use XML, please make sure it's readable with plain
>> text tools too!
> If you use XML you can convert it to a number of formats (an example
> is the pkgsrc guide which is available in HTML and plan text format).

How?  Which tool is appropriate to convert XML to plain text?  Which
corner I never noticed is the converter buried off in?  Or is it a sed
script hiding somewhere, or what?

> Writing stuff in XML is as readable as writing in mdoc format, IMHO.

Well...I'd agree: either one can be an unreadable blizzard of code, and
either one can be lucid, clear, and readable even with plain text
tools.

I didn't say "please don't write XML"; I said "please make sure it's
readable with plain text tools".  I've seen HTML that was eminently
readable with nothing but less(1), and I've seen HTML that I had
trouble even telling whether there *was* any content to it amid the
blizzard of tags.  I've seen nroff input that was thoroughly readable
as text, and I've seen nroff input that makes me scratch my head and go
"there's probably some text here, but where?".  Similar remarks apply
to every plain-text markup format I've seen any significant amount of.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign