Subject: Re: Serious SCB Timeout problems in 2.0.2 on Alpha w/ fxp devices
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Stephen Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2005 12:53:11
On Jun 26, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> Are the two interfaces connected to the same type of switches? Could it
> be that the switch is causing the problem to the internal interface?

That was a possibility I had considered.  The fxp0 interfaces are on a
seperate
hardware switch from the fxp1.  Remember the 'port assertion' problem
in 1.6.0
about two years ago when a CS20 could effectively lock up an entire
switch?

I'll get the details on the cisco ethernet switches I'm using and their
differences in
configuration.  Another thing to note is that I ran these all on 1.6.x
for 2+ years
with only minimal SCB timeout issues .. it was never this frequent.
The only thing
that has changed is I moved all the systems from 1.6.x to 2.0.2 in a
single event.

The DS10Ls which don't use fxp (they're tulip) use the same switches
for front end
and back end traffic and run very well.