Subject: Re: lack of pciide transfer alignment checking causes crash
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/25/2005 13:18:08
The geodepciide will not be the only DMA engine in this system; I have several
DEC TULIP ethernet interfaces in here (one single port, and one quad port with
a PCI-PCI bridge (this system has two 32-bit PCI slots).

However, the bugs referenced in other OS code are specifically in the Geode
PCI IDE DMA engine, and not in the system at large (and so far I haven't seen
any evidence of any others, but I haven't specifically tested - I imagine that
while we take some care in the mbuf code to do various kinds of alignment, I
don't think we're as careful as to make everything 16-BYTE aligned).

	Erik <fair@netbsd.org>