Subject: RE: CVS commit: src
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Gordon Waidhofer <gww@traakan.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/23/2005 03:05:21

Take this with a grain of salt.....

I saw a demo of AFS (I believe) that had conditional
symbolic links. The selectors were actually
part of the proc rather than system wide.

This allowed an AFS file server to, for example, have bin/
and lib/ directories for a variety of architectures. The
workstations could be very different yet use the same
file server for executables. It was something like
this. A conditional symlink "bin" pointed to bin.i386/,
bin.68k/, bin.vax/, etc. The process on the workstation
contained the selector for which actual link to follow.

That's about all I remember. It was a brief demo.
They did other tricky stuff not related to CPU
architecture, but I don't remember that clearly.

How do these magic symlink things work with NFS?

Regards,
	-gww