Subject: Re: Boot device confusion
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/21/2005 21:10:48
In article <20050621040611.GE7072@canolog.ninthwonder.com>,
Allen Briggs  <briggs@netbsd.org> wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:03:57PM -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:
>> Hmmm...  Unless we call DIOCGDEFLABEL?  That might
>> work, too.  I'll try that.
>
>OK.  Comparing the 'd_secperunit' field in the default label to that
>in the actual label read from the disk does work for me.  However, it
>will not work if someone has adjusted the default number of sectors.
>Do folks do that?  I seem to recall doing this once upon a time for
>some reason that seems obscure to me right now.

I really don't like this. If the BIOS tells us that this disk should
be a member of a RAID, then we have no business accessing individually,
except for monitoring/statistics etc. purposes.

I think that using the disks directly and ignoring that the BIOS is
telling us that they should be part of a RAID, is asking for trouble.
It is easy enough to disable the RAID function (or remove the drives
from the RAID) in most BIOS's (I think).

christos