Subject: re: Boot device confusion
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/21/2005 13:14:22
   On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:44:48AM +1000, matthew green wrote:
   > i'm not so sure.  i've used systems that have bios raid setup
   > but the root was on one of these components and the bios raid
   > was not used at all.

   How did this work?  The BIOS RAID was actually using the disk
   as a component, but root was on that component even though the
   kernel configured the logical disk, too?  I'm genuinely curious
   about this configuration.  Why would you do this?  Why not just
   delete the logical disk and use the components?

i didn't originally configure the system that way and i had not
bothered to enter the bootup bios screen to unconfigure the
raid.  it's not about why i would do this, but the simple fact
that it ended up this way.  i've almost never been at this machines
console, i've never remembered to "fix" it when i am so.

.mrg.