Subject: re: Boot device confusion
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/21/2005 09:44:48

   >There are four possible solutions that I see to this:
   >
   >	* Pick the last device instead of the first
   >	  However, there is a comment:
   >		 * Use the first match anyway
   >		 * because lower devices numbers are more likely to be the
   >		 * boot device.
   >
   >	* Compare the disk size with the label size
   >	  This requires some method of getting the disk size from the
   >	  disk device.
   >
   >	* Teach the loader about these BIOS RAID things
   >	  Then we have two places to add new formats--FreeBSD has
   >	  a bunch of these.
   >
   >	* Mark devices that should not be included in the findroot
   >	  process.  So the ld_ataraid bits would, in my case, mark
   >	  wd0 and wd1 device structures when it attaches the ld
   >	  made up of those two disks.  This could presumably be a
   >	  new dv_flag (DVF_MEMBER ?).  If this could somehow be
   >	  exposed to sysinst, it could remove the member units
   >	  from the available installation media list, too (also
   >	  useful for RAIDframe units).
   >
   >The last seems the least invasive.  Or have I overlooked another
   >reasonable approach?

   I think marking raid component devices so that they do not participate
   as standalone devices is the easiest solution.

i'm not so sure.  i've used systems that have bios raid setup
but the root was on one of these components and the bios raid
was not used at all.  i think the right solution is to fix the
loader, or, is #2 (disk sizes) really that hard?  it could be
used to avoid 99+% of these cases and seems reliable without
breaking anything that currently is useful.