Subject: Re: ARC algorithm implementation
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/19/2005 11:22:12
--nhYGnrYv1PEJ5gA2

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 06:39:55PM +0000, Kentaro A. Kurahone wrote:
  | Personally I've been more partial to CAR than ARC[0] by the same develo=
pers.
  | Both are patent encumbered, and I do not think that it will be good to
  | incorporate either into the NetBSD tree.  The Postgresql people have
  | removed ARC from the database over this, and I think that the stance is
  | correct[1].
  |=20
  | That being said, there are plenty of algorithms that give better perfor=
mance
  | than LRU, that would be good alternatives to ARC/CAR[2].
  |=20
  | [0]: Clock with Adaptive Replacement
  | [1]: http://uk.builder.com/builder/manage/business/0,39026582,39243557,=
00.htm
  | [2]: http://www.cs.wm.edu/hpcs/WWW/HTML/publications/papers/TR-05-3.pdf

Other algorithms to consider for the file system buffer cache include:

* PCC
	Program-counter-based pattern classification in buffer caching.
	Chris Gniady, Ali R. Butt, and Y. Charlie Hu.
	In Proceedings of the 6th Symposium on Operating Systems
	Design and Implementation (OSDI '04), 2004.=20

	http://www.usenix.org/events/osdi04/tech/gnaidy.html

	http://www.ece.purdue.edu/~ychu/publications/osdi04_pcc.pdf

* UBM
	A low-overhead high-performance unified buffer managament
	scheme that exploits sequential and looping reference.
	Jongmin Kim, Jongmoo Choi, Jesung Kim, Sam H. Noh, Sang Lyul Min,
	Yookun Cho, and Chong Sang Kim.
	In Symposium on Operating System Design and Implementation
	(OSDI'2000), 2000.=20

	http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/osdi2000/kim.html

	http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/osdi2000/full_paper=
s/kim/kim_html/index.html

* AMP
	AMP: Program Context Specific Buffer Caching
	Feng Zhou, Rob von Behren and Eric Brewer
	In proceedings of USENIX '05 Annual Technical Conference, 2005.

	http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix05/tech/general/zhou.html

	http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~zf/amp/

Cheers,
Luke.