Subject: Re: Compressed vnd handling tested successfully
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/14/2005 16:08:16
On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 00:35 +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> The tool compresses & uncompresses a disk-image (file), and isn't all that
> different from what compress/gzip etc. do - I don't feel like we should
> add this into vnconfig(8). Of course it could be done, but it would sound
> more like a hack to me (and the -c(ompress)/-u(ncompress) flags are
> already taken in vnconfig(8) ;-).
>
> I'd leave it as seperate tool.

About the name...  I understand that you chose vncompress (without the
'd' in vnd) because it matches vnconfig.

However, vnconfig should be really named vndconfig, as the device is
vnd, not vn (this was discussed in the past, IIRC).  I'm wondering...
could we rename the utility (and provide a compatibility link for the
old name, of course)?

(Just asking this to avoid the addition of another tool with an
"incorrect" name.)

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>