Subject: Re: Summer Of Code - Filesystem What do you think ?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Mondor <mm_lists@pulsar-zone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/2005 21:58:18
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 21:28:26 +0200
Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:

> I collected a feature list for a LFS. Some of these features are hard to
> implement with "traditional" FS like UFS/FFS but it seems to be quite
> easy with a LFS:
> - at least same performance as FFS + softupdates
> - instant / fast crash recovery
> - snapshoot / clone support
> - multible file systems per partition
> - online resizable (grow _and_ shrink)
> - online migratable (move from one partition to an other)
> - multible partitions for a single file system

There even seems to be an experimental "elephant filesystem" project based
on LFS-like ideas, allowing multiple old versions of files to still be
available for some time...  Things which most filesystem implementations
would not allow to do easily because they are not logging...
The metadata handling and logs cleaning are different from LFS though.

i.e.
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Alistair_Veitch/papers/elephant-hotos/elephant.pdf
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Alistair_Veitch/papers/elephant-sosp/efs.pdf

Matt

--
Note: Please only reply on the list since other mail is blocked by default.
Private messages from your address can be allowed by first asking, however.