Subject: Re: Summer Of Code - Filesystem What do you think ?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/09/2005 12:17:17
--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:53:27AM +0200, Jonathan Buschmann wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>=20
> Currently i'm searching in which way i can help BSD system and in this=20
> case NetBSD.
> And i would help adding another filesystem like JFS or HFS+.
>=20
> I'm not sure that all the capabilities of these filesystem can be=20
> developped during this 2 months.
>=20
> What do you think about that ? Which filesystem is the most interesting=
=20
> to learn ?

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I already signed up for the HFS+ project.
I had some discussion with jmmv about it, and he is of the opinion that
the documentation on JFS is lacking detail.  You can't seriously implement
it with the documentation from its website.  Same goes for XFS.

ReiserFS apparently has serious issues s well.  There is no decent
documentation and there are stability problems with the Linux implementatio=
n,
so porting it is not advisable.

Look around, there were some posts on tech-kern proposing other
interesting projects, for example this one:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2005/06/06/0040.html

And of course, there's the old list at http://netbsd.org/contrib/projects.h=
tml

Good luck in finding a suitable project!

Regards,
Peter
--=20
http://www.student.kun.nl/peter.bex