Subject: Re: Bad sectors vs RAIDframe
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/08/2005 18:14:50
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Stephen Borrill wrote:

[...raidframe failing when both disks in a RAID1 set suffer bad sectors..]

> This is happening far too often for me now though (just had another failure
> of 2 discs - this time 250GB). These are all with 1.6.2 machines, so it would
> be great to come up with a plan to minimise future problems. Especially as
> these are at (generally clueless) customer sites.

[...]
> My plan is to hurry forward the migration to 2.0.2 from 1.6.2 and to run a
> nightly check which will email both the customer and ourselves if it spots
> any failed components.

 	Another potential stopgap option might be to ask Greg if
 	he could produce a patchset for 1.6.2 for the 'stop raidframe
 	failing last component' change. I would imagine some form
 	of bribe might make that option more viable.

 	For future reference there is definite mileage in mixing brands.

 	Out of curiosity are you providing the customers with any form
 	of remote backups? I've played around with a few options and
 	settled on rsnapshot which does nearly exactly what I want, and
 	is very reasonable in disk space cost.