Subject: Re: ARC algorithm implementation
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Kentaro A. Kurahone <kurahone@sigusr1.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2005 18:39:55
--Kj7319i9nmIyA2yE

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 03:35:58PM +0200, Xavier Gu?rin wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> In the scope of the google summer code operation, I was looking for a =20
> subject related to OSes (and particulary kernels).
>=20
> I have looked through your differents projects over the NetBSD =20
> kernel, and I would be really interrested by the ARC algorithm =20
> implementation.

Personally I've been more partial to CAR than ARC[0] by the same developers.
Both are patent encumbered, and I do not think that it will be good to
incorporate either into the NetBSD tree.  The Postgresql people have
removed ARC from the database over this, and I think that the stance is
correct[1].

That being said, there are plenty of algorithms that give better performance
than LRU, that would be good alternatives to ARC/CAR[2].

--=20
Kentaro A. Kurahone
SIGUSR1 Research and Development

[0]: Clock with Adaptive Replacement