Subject: Re: DRI on sunffb and some rambling
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2005 07:22:15
--Signature_Mon__6_Jun_2005_07_22_15_-0400_8fL6ZiWuUNPTTAqO

Hello,

> > It's surely possible to do the split you're suggesting, but either
> > you end up still having most of the code specific to the graphics
> > card, or you may experience a loss of performance. Either way you're
> > going to get out of sync with the codebase.
>=20
> Since I haven't looked at that part of the code at all, I'm not sure
> how bad that would be yet ;-)

> What is the license of "the codebase"? I had the imagination it would
> be basically unmaintained nowadays.

Most of it comes with XFree86, so it will be something BSD-compatible.

> Are there any chances for future improvements? We (and every other X
> using system) will need much improved 3D endering sometime (far
> beyound the current DRI), to cope with graphic cards manufactured in
> the last three year (ignoring the docucmentation problem for now).

Good question - look at http://dri.freedesktop.org. Looks a bit out of
date to me.

> And, most important, I want sunffb supported, so radeon specific hacks
> won't help me (but then I might have misunderstood your suggestion).

Yeah, and I want glide on macppc some day ( not that anybody in his/her
right mind would still bother with voodoo 3/4/5 boards but who cares?
I've got one and most of the code needed to use the 3d part is out
there somewhere. We might even want to support the coordinate
transformation engine found on the cg6 in case we'll find some docs on
our doorstep some day )=20
So whatever we'll come up with better be generic enough to allow all
that.

have fun
Michael=20