Subject: Re: DRI on sunffb and some rambling
To: Tonnerre <tonnerre@thundrix.ch>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2005 08:27:13
On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 07:29:47AM +0200, Tonnerre wrote:
> It's surely possible to do the split you're suggesting, but either you end up
> still having most of the code specific to the graphics card, or you may
> experience a loss of performance. Either way you're going to get out of sync
> with the codebase.

Since I haven't looked at that part of the code at all, I'm not sure how bad
that would be yet ;-)

What is the license of "the codebase"? I had the imagination it would be
basically unmaintained nowadays. Are there any chances for future
improvements? We (and every other X using system) will need much improved 3D
rendering sometime (far beyound the current DRI), to cope with graphic cards
manufactured in the last three year (ignoring the docucmentation problem for
now).

And, most important, I want sunffb supported, so radeon specific hacks won't
help me (but then I might have misunderstood your suggestion).

Martin