Subject: Re: DRI on sunffb and some rambling
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2005 00:53:34
--Signature_Mon__6_Jun_2005_00_53_34_-0400_uIsODu50pKHSzKqd

Hello,

> From an autoconfig point of view I would do=20
>=20
> ffb* at mainbus?
> radeonvga* at pci?
> drm* at drmdriver?

Exactly what I meant :)

> (where we could discuss the name "drmdriver" - since it is a bus for
> autoconfig) and then make sure that radeonvga only contains the
> additional stuff to provide the DRM hooks on that particular board,
> but otherwise reuse as much of the standard vga driver as possible.

It could be a replacement for pci_vga.c to begin with, later it could
evolve into a graphical console driver in case someone wants that (
well, the macppc folks would. Sun sells Radeon-based graphics boards
these days. Just like SGI and probably a bunch of others.  )

> We could also discuss to use the /dev/fb* view of the graphics world
> for X on PCI busses too and modify the XFree device open code
> accordingly, which would enable us to get away with the XFree
> setuid-ness.

And we could support multihead without much headache on other platforms
than i386 - the way XFree handles PCI devices right now is just ugly.

> But this is a completely different topic, orthogonal to the current
> issue and better discussed separate (it would allow us to attach drm*
> at fb?, but that's realy only a cosmetic/naming question)

True.

have fun
Michael