Subject: re: changing default for UFS_DIRHASH and NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/05/2005 04:55:21
   On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 05:54:43AM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:

   > > That is not very persuasive to me.
   >
   > I honestly couldn't care less if I "persuade" you. I'm just saying that
   > softdep & new_bufq are not wins on my system. Whether or not it changes your
   > worldview is up to you.

   Well, if you don't care whether you persuade us, then why did you end
   your message with "Please do not make it the default"?

   If you're going to make a normative technical argument, it behooves
   you to not do things like say "I turned on X and Y, and Z didn't work,
   so I know that X causes Z to not work, you must not turn on X by
   default," at least, if you want anyone to take you seriously.  And if
   you don't care if anyone takes you seriously, and don't care whether
   your analysis of a given problem is correct, why are you wasting time
   and electrons talking about technical issues here?

did you not quote this part of sean's message on purpose?

   "I've had it happen with just softdep, and with just new_bufq. The effects
   are more severe with just new_bufq."

.mrg.