Subject: Re: Possible summer of code project: Logical Volume Manager (request for comments!)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2005 17:51:10
On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:04:44PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> I'm thinking of porting (or perhaps reimplementing :-/) Linux's
> Logical Volume Manager to NetBSD as a Google Summer of Code project.

You've done a bit of this below, but I would encourage you to think
not so much in terms of porting/reimplementing, but in terms of
filling needs.  What features do you want to have, and what's the
best way to get them?

Something else to look at might be FreeBSD's GEOM.  I don't know
much about it--just seen passing references to it.  I get the
impression that it at least has some overlap with an LVM.

As someone already mentioned, you might want to look at NetBSD's
'wedges', too.  Wedges are a fairly new thing in NetBSD and not
fully exploited yet.

As for the root on LVM, it seems that the device mapper would
want to perform an autodiscovery phase like RAIDframe does.
I.e., after the physical disks are enumerated, look for the
information to configure any LVs.  I think that's what you're
suggesting.

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.NetBSD.org/