Subject: Re: your mail
To: al <moidodyr@evpanet.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2005 16:57:34
On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 03:34:11PM +0200, al wrote:
> I would like to participate in Google Summer.
> And I want my project to be something for NetBSD kernel.
> I consider Improve Caching.
>
> Can you provide me with more details about this project, please.

The web page states:

	Improve Caching

	Replace all of the knobs and wacky algorithms for sizing
	the many separate LRU caches in our kernel (for pages and
	for various kinds of objects like metadata buffers, mbufs,
	etc.) with a generalized (N-way) algorithm like IBM's ARC
	("Adaptive Replacement Cache") to size all the caches for
	optimal hit rate.

There's a lot for "more details" here.  As far as I know, no one
has explicitly looked into this in a lot of detail to have a ready
list of areas, algorithms, etc.  Part of the project would be to
enumerate the different places within the kernel that currently
have a need for caching data and work out how to best improve them.

As I see it, this is a project with several phases--starting with
a kind of "discovery" phase.  If you are looking for a well-defined
and straightforward project, this is probably not it.  If this is
the project that you want, then I suggest that you do a little bit
of research to outline the project.

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.NetBSD.org/