Subject: Re: changing default for UFS_DIRHASH and NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2005 12:37:29
On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 05:54:43AM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:

> > That is not very persuasive to me.
>
> I honestly couldn't care less if I "persuade" you. I'm just saying that
> softdep & new_bufq are not wins on my system. Whether or not it changes your
> worldview is up to you.

Well, if you don't care whether you persuade us, then why did you end
your message with "Please do not make it the default"?

If you're going to make a normative technical argument, it behooves
you to not do things like say "I turned on X and Y, and Z didn't work,
so I know that X causes Z to not work, you must not turn on X by
default," at least, if you want anyone to take you seriously.  And if
you don't care if anyone takes you seriously, and don't care whether
your analysis of a given problem is correct, why are you wasting time
and electrons talking about technical issues here?

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky