Subject: Re: re0 failing after reboot.
To: None <>
From: theo borm <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/20/2005 11:38:12
theo borm wrote:

> re0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0: RealTek 8169S Single-chip Gigabit Ethernet
> ukphy0 at re0 phy 7: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
> re0: diagnostic failed, failed to receive packet in loopback mode
> re0: attach aborted due to hardware diag failure

Another datapoint: just now a machine hangs just after printing the
line "Adding interface aliases" (haven't defined any) with its network
acivity led on the switch blinking like mad. After unplugging and
re-plugging the cable from the switch it starts to respond to pings
again, and booting continues.....

should I manually configure media types?, and could incorrect
autoselection of media type be related to the loopback failure?

    address: 00:80:5a:20:03:75
    media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT full-duplex)
    status: active
    inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
    inet6 fe80::280:5aff:fe20:375%re0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

any clues?

with kind regards,

Theo Borm.