Subject: Re: Include order of system header files
To: None <>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/18/2005 17:49:09
> In kernel land header files from <sys/> domain oftenly implicitly
> expect that a set of other header files has been included.

Yes.  Worse, this is true of userland use of the same files.

> IMHO it's at least a bit annoying :(

I go farther; I call it outright broken.  With perhaps a very few
exceptions, I consider any include file broken when a C file consisting
of just an #include of that file produces compiler errors.  (Except, of
course, files that are not intended to be included directly - files
which do not conceptually stand on their own and should never be
included except as part of the implementation of other files.  Examples
might be sys/cdefs_aout.h and sys/cdefs_elf.h.)

> So my question is: is there someone work going on on making kernel
> includes to be a bit more user/developer friendly as userland are?

I've been fixing such bugs in my own tree as I find them.  Some time
back (years), I tried to interest NetBSD in such fixes but I was told
in no uncertain terms that such things were not considered broken by
NetBSD and thus would not be fixed.  Perhaps that position has changed
since; I don't know.  I hope so.

You're certainly welcome to the fixes I've accumulated, though they
probably won't be much help since they're for 1.4T.  (If you want them
anyway, see and,
for any given change, the patch files under .../working/src/.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML