Subject: Re: wscons and multiple wsdisplays
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/18/2005 13:02:32
--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 08:15:40AM -0400, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> > > Multiple text displays produce interesting problems:
> > > - how do we tell which display is active? No driver I've seen cares
> > > about that so there's no way to tell. With multiple wsdisplays
> > > 'inactive' doesn't imply 'invisible'.
> >=20
> >   Normally, I think only one display terminal is created on startup -
> > that being the console display.  Additional displays need to have the
> > terminals created.  (/etc/wscons.conf is used to configure additional
> > screens for wsdisplay0 using /dev/ttyEcfg.)
>=20
> I'd expect one on each wsdisplay. But with multiple control devices
> things look different of course.

One thing to keep in mind with the device construction issue (multiple=20
wsdisplay, multiple ttyEcfg, etc.) is that if we have multiple consoles=20
and keyboards and mice, then it makes a lot of sense to have separate=20
ownership of the devices.

It'd be really cool to have four heads in a box, with four keyboards and=20
mice, that act as four separate consoles. So you can have different users=
=20
logged into them. Obviously it'd also be appropriate to have systems where=
=20
all screens are owned by the same person, and some sort of configuration=20
change'd be needed to differentiate the scenarios.

> >   If the Xserver is using wscons, it can select the display by using
> > the appropriate device (/dev/ttyE0 or /dev/ttyF0 in the case of a
> > DECstation with two displays).

Ewww.... I don't like the idea of ttyF0. Except for ptys, we usually only=
=20
add other ttyX names when the hardware's different. So if we can, I'd=20
rather we do something else with the names..

But that's just me.

> XFree always opens /dev/ttyE0 on sparc64 and macppc.

While I don't have the latest X server on my macppc, the one I have=20
mentions you can pass the ttyxx option to X. While I haven't dived into=20
the code, I expect that should change which device X uses by default...

Take care,

Bill

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs--