Subject: Re: COMPAT_LINUX vsyscall
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/2005 23:45:49
--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 08:48:09PM -0400, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <20050501221625.GQ5984@snowdrop.l8s.co.uk>,
> David Laight  <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >That is mapping data, not code.....
>=20
> The kernel can map optimized versions of mem*() and str*() that depend
> on the processor.

And all processes can take advantage of it. While we can play some=20
comparable tricks with conditional library linking (like how we have=20
different libm's on i386 as I understand it), that takes dynamic linking=20
and runtime computation. With this, the kernel figures out what the right=
=20
page is early in boot, and all processes (that are ours) use it.

Take care,

Bill

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L--