Subject: Kern/25659 is not isolated to pcmcia attached drives.
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/21/2005 15:29:18
	Hello.  Has anyone else noticed that the wdc.c timeouts seem to be
short enough that attaching drives to NetBSD-2.x systems can be somewhat
challenging?  Kern/25659 correctly identifies the problem as being in the
sys/dev/ic/wdc.c file, but it doesn't look like any changes have been made
to that file in the source trees which reflect the knowledge of this
problem.  If anything, changes over the past year or so have caused most
timeouts in this file to shorten considerably.  I've appended what I hope
is a less hackish patch to this bug in the gnats database, and hope that
someone with more knowledge than I could address the general problem.  The
patch I appended makes things work quite well, but I'd be happy to engage
in a discussion on this topic if it might result in a permanent fix which
will live on in the sources.

	Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem?  Am I the only one
seeing it?
-thanks
-Brian