Subject: Re: UDF project status update
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/18/2005 00:44:07
--Bn2rw/3z4jIqBvZU

Hiya Hubert,

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 11:54:34PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> >My strategy is still to develop the UDF support using a two-track system;
>
> Why reinvent the wheel and not use the FreeBSD/OpenBSD version?

Simple reasons: the FreeBSD/OpenBSD version is pretty limited; its
*read-only* and only supports a subset of UDF just enough to read Roxio
DirectCD discs and prolly also Nero InCD.

No support for writing has ever been envisoned by the author of the FreeBSD
code and its code has been in this state for a couple of years. In my talks
with him he said he wasn't working on any enhancement either. UDF however
is not standing still and allthough the FreeBSD/OpenBSD version now also
reads UDF 2.01 the standard is allready at 2.60 introducing quite a lot.
The FreeBSD/OpenBSD version is well written but has some limits on the UDF
filingsystems it can grock. Silicon graphics is known to have used the
FreeBSD framework as a starting point for their read/write implementation
of UDF in Irix but offcoure (...) didn't contribute the code back to
opensource.

My version doesn't read 2.50 and 2.60 either yet but has all the nessisary
bolts and plates allready to fix that on though. The kernel version was set
back some time by some unclear in-kernel SCSI ioctl() issues allready
discussed on either this list or on tech-kern wich are solved now. The
version i am working on is in a way a bit `overdone' i have to admit; it
support a bit too much and ever is pretty relaxed in what
versions/recording programs it can handle. I haven't encountered an UDF
disc yet that it couldn't read nor write but then again the UDF standard
can be quite elaborate.

In the end i hope to come up with a inkernel implementation of UDF that can
both read and write on both recordable and rewritable media. Restricted /
self remapping overwrite media like BluRay 'DVD' are also to be supported.

Hope this answers enough for now,

Cheers,
Reinoud

--Bn2rw/3z4jIqBvZU