Subject: Re: feature request: root file system change
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Mondor <mm_lists@pulsar-zone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2005 03:52:12
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:18:40 -0400
Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 09:58:35PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > Which reminds me of a question I was asked by a FreeBSD user the other
> > day: How does NetBSD handle /dev/(u?)random running out of running bits
> > while booting? (Doing cgd things that even before running init seems to
> > ask for that situation... :)
>
> Doesn't urandom never block? In 3.0 cgdconfig has the 'urandomkey'
> generation method that takes advantage of this for early
> configuration.

A possible issue though might be lack of enough entropy to make
/dev/urandom results unpredictable, since the system is just being
initialized and entropy collection is not likely to have occurred much.
To be non-blocking, it would then fall back to generate results similar
to random(3) if necessary, I believe ("degenerates to a pseudo-random
generator").  Of course this might only matter to some extent depending
on your use of CGD

--
Note: Please only reply on the list since other mail is blocked by default.
Private messages from your address can be allowed by first asking, however.