Subject: Re: Melting down your network [Subject changed]
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/29/2005 13:57:06
> I think I have rather more expertise in this field than you,

Oh, undoubtedly.

> and my expert opinion is that I'd have a hard time defending the
> proposition that Emmanuel's app has any legitimate purpose, outside
> of toy domains like NETBLT, other than as a DDOS [sensu moi].

Absent the putdown implicit in "toy domains", I agree - but such
private network uses do exist, not at all toy.  At a past job, they
(not I, I just worked there and heard about it) were working on
something very much like what Emmanuel apparently wants to do, on
private LANs dedicated to the purpose.  And as I say, it was not at all
toy; the final application was the sort of thing the right client would
pay probably on the order of a few megabux for.  There weren't many
"right client"s, but a few - it was not a common thing, but there
certainly was a market.  (I'd give more details, but I'm not sure to
what extent I'm still under NDA - I don't have time right now to dig
out the NDA and find its sunset clause.)  They wanted to stream data
from one sender to multiple receivers, over completely private LANs set
up expressely for the purpose, and could not tolerate the choke-point
bandwidth multiplication implicit in doing many TCP connections.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign