Subject: Protocl design [was Re: Melting down your network [Subject changed]]
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/29/2005 05:00:15
> Now, anyone who takes this approach [designing something
> "lightweight" instead of TCP] is quite clearly implicitly saying that
> that the TCP designers, and everyone who looked at it since, are too
> inept to see how to design a more-lightweight protocol.

Not always; sometimes just that existing protocols (such as TCP) are
designed based on assumptions that are invalid for the task at hand.

For example, I once designed a file transfer protocol that used UDP (it
was somewhat like TFTP, only with some checksumming guff added).  It
was designed to survive certain kinds of brokenness I was struggling
with at the time, brokenness which among other things broke TCP.  This
does not mean that there's anything wrong with TCP within its design
parameters, just that I wanted something suitable for an environment
that was outside those parameters.  (Not that it's really a case of
lightweight versus heavyweight, just an example of a case where
designing a new protocol does not necessarily imply any slight on
existing protocols.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign