Subject: Re: fixing send(2) semantics (kern/29750)
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/27/2005 11:33:42
In message <20050327170142.GA14354@panix.com>,
Thor Lancelot Simon writes:

>On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 08:38:39AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>>
>> I'm not even sure my suggestion of translation ENOBUFS -> 0 is
>> actually necessary now.
>
>One thing that bothers me is the effect of all this on the use of
>watermarks on the socket buffer.  Even given that UDP is unreliable,
>it does seem like we _don't_ want to do anything that will cause select
>to return, or send to unblock, with a watermark set, and then have the
>send syscall return ENOBUFS.  That's highly counterintuitive and, it
>seems to me, will frustrate efforts to do congestion control over UDP
>in any sane way (not that what Manu is trying to do seems even remotely
>sane to me, at least not the way he's trying to do it).

Actually, I think its worse than insane. I do think Manuel's app
should be removed from pkgsrc on the grounds that it's actively harmful,
to any unfortunate souls who don't know better and try to use it.

>It occurs to me that he might see significantly better throughput for
>his application simply by making the interface queue longer.

Yes, exactly. I wrote that at some point yesterday, after seeing
quotes (by Martin Husemann, I think?) referring to ppoe, but it seems
to've been lost somewhere in the network outages I had last night.