Subject: Re: fixing send(2) semantics (kern/29750)
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/27/2005 09:49:21
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Emmanuel, why don't you tell us what your actual problem is, and see
> if we can help you with it, instead of suggesting ideas which are
> well-known in the relevant field to be bad ideas, or incorrect (though
> 100% sincere, I am sure) claims that these bad ideas are somehow
> mandated by standards?

See my other mail: I want to transmit UDP packets using full link
bandwidth, and it cannot be acheived on NetBSD because:

- If I don't sleep between sends, the queue get full, I get ENOBUFS, I
have to retry sending. And in the meantime the network interface
consumed all the data on the queue. The queue is empty and the network
is unused for some time.

- If I sleep between send, or even if I do a single system call, the
interface consume packets faster than I add them. The queue is empty and
the network is unused for some time.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz