Subject: kernel-internal interface changes?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/2005 14:45:20
I'm working on something that wants a tap driver (ie, a
pseudo-Ethernet) in 2.0.

I have a tap driver (which I wrote) for 1.6.x.  I also note there's a
tap driver in -current.  My options, as I see them, are:

- Write a new tap driver for 2.0, based on one or both of the others
  and possibly some stuff existing in 2.0.

- Roll forward the 1.6.x driver.

- Backport the -current driver.

The reason I'm writing is to get opinions from people in the know about
the feasibility of the latter two options.  How much have the relevant
kernel internal interfaces changed between 1.6.x and 2.0, and between
2.0 and -current?  How much documentation is there in eithe case?  In
short, which would more likely be the easier port, and why?

Any thoughts?  For that matter, does anyone know of an already-existing
tap driver for 2.0 I could just pick up and use?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign