Subject: Re: ACPI-CA v. 20050309
To: None <10.50@free.fr>
From: Takayoshi Kochi <kochi@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/2005 11:35:54
Hi Vincent and Kentaro,

Sorry for my inactiveness (as the maintainer of acpi subsystem
for NetBSD), but I'd like to see what Vincent's real problem is.

Vincent, could you narrow down more _where_ the reboot happens
in ACPI-CA code?  If it happens _only_ on your laptop in the world,
it's ok, but if not, there should be a fix for 2.0 and 3.0, not only
for -current.  Importing a newer ACPI-CA for 2.0 or 3.0 is not
a good idea.

Without knowing what's really happening on your laptop when _BST
is evaluated, the problem may happen in the future again even if
we import the newer/future version of ACPI-CA, which actually
happened in the past.

I hate the idea of just upgrading the ACPI-CA to fix some of problems.
In my past experience, a newer ACPI-CA is not always better than older ones.
The newer one surely has some bug fixes, but also has some
enhancements/cleanups, which means it may include some new bugs
or errors.  So if it fixes _your_ problem, it may make _others_ not
working.  Don't treat ACPI-CA as a black box, just replacing it will
not make everyone happy (especially makes the developers handle many PR's :)

The NetBSD in-tree ACPI-CA is not updated for more than a year,
because I waited for 2.0 to be released and 3.0 is branched so that
we can use the _stabilized_ and _working_ one, not the _latest_,
_experimental_ or _buggy_ one.

Also, the in-tree ACPI-CA has some backported bug-fixes and
local changes, and newer ACPI-CA may have some equivalent of
our local changes.  As we should not break the current behavior by
importing the new one, we have to check whether the things will
not break as carefully as we can.

With that said, now is a good opportunity to import the newer ACPI-CA,
because the 3.0 branch is cut, and there's a lot of time to stabilize
the new one for -current.  But it's another thing to nail down the
real problem.

I'd like to work on importing a newer ACPI-CA for -current in a week
or two.

---
Takayoshi Kochi