Subject: Re: Using SD/CF/etc. type removable FLASH ROM
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org, tech-kern@NetBSD.org,>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/17/2005 21:33:41
>> In NetBSD 1.6,
>> 1. Is there any filesystem that can be used for flash rom?
> Whatever you want.

Pretty much, yeah, if your CF does wear leveling on its own.  If not, I
don't know of any open-source filesystems that are suitable, but since
I've never looked, that means little.

>> 3. What interface would you recommend if you can't use USB? For
>> example, i2c, pci, ...
> The easiest way would be Compact Flash over a bog standard IDE
> interface I guess.  Shouldn't require any special drivers.

I've seen this done (as in, I've actually worked with such machines).

It didn't require any special drivers.  We used FFS (v1, of course,
this being back in..um, '01, '02).   Plug in the CF card, boot, and
there it is as wd0.

I've done this on my laptop, too: I have a PCMCIA<->CF adapter (purely
passive, AIUI) and I can pop the thing in and poof, wd1 appears (the
laptop's own disk is wd0).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign