Subject: Re: Program recovery using checkpointing
To: None <kamalp@acm.org>
From: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/12/2005 04:33:10
	"Kamal R. Prasad" <kamalpr@yahoo.com> said:

>> IMHO, this work focuses on very limited application,

> Its application is program recovery

But existing checkpointing systems already provide program recovery
without the feature that the patch provides.

> -but the types of userland applications (if that is what you meant)
> which can use this feature is not limited.

My point is that I don't think that the feature is useful.

> If you want to use checkpointing for process
> migration, that would require a substantial amt. of
> work on checkpointing the kernel side of the process
> aka the file descriptors, sockets, pipes etc..

Actually, there are already some checkpointing systems which do
provide process migration of processes which do network communication
(e.g. MPI).  And such systems don't need the kernel support like what
you are expecting.
If you have any interest how they implement it, please read the source
code of the following free software, for example:
http://www.pccluster.org/score/dist/index.php
--
soda