Subject: Re: Discussing the future of the NetBSD scheduler
To: Daniel Sieger <dsieger@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/10/2005 15:51:30
--w7PDEPdKQumQfZlR

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 07:46:18PM +0100, Daniel Sieger wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 05:30:24PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> [snip]
> >=20
> > Well, the first thing that we need is for the scheduler to be in C. I=
=20
> > don't see how we can really maintain a new scheduler w/o that. But then=
=20
> > again I'm not a scheduler expert.
> >=20
> > There was an attempt to do this a while back, but there were problems w=
ith=20
> > it and it had to be reverted. :-| I'd suggest getting that working firs=
t,=20
> > then everything else should just drop in.
>=20
> Could you or maybe someone who has already worked on this explain in
> some more datail which parts of the scheduler have to be made less
> machine-dependend? Which changes have been attempted to be made
> last time?

I'll defer to others for most of the details, but the last time this was=20
tried was in 2002. See the commits around

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2002/09/22/0013.html

both before and after. I think the main back-out was on Sept 29.

Take care,

Bill

--w7PDEPdKQumQfZlR

--w7PDEPdKQumQfZlR--