Subject: debugging, Re: How long can I use an outdated kernel with an updated userland?
To: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/07/2005 10:34:41
--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 06:57:47PM +0100, Vincent wrote:
> >As noted, /sbin/init can cause issues. Another problem may be if libc is=
=20
> >updated to use a new call that isn't there; ALL programs can crash. I=20
> >remember when we went to having getcwd() based on a system call. If you=
=20
> >used a new userland (that expected the system call) with an old kernel=
=20
> >(that didn't have it), most every program crashed. I don't know if init=
=20
> >crashed then, but I think every shell did. :-)
>=20
> I was specifically thinking about that.
> Anyway, related question : how to debug the kernel when the failure=20
> consists in unescapable reboots after the "acpibat" message ?
>=20
> If anybody has a clue, I'll be glad to catch it ;)

All I can think is to add printf()s after that message and keep trying.=20
You should be able to find out which call is crashing (since all the=20
subsequent printf()s won't print), then figure out what is being passed=20
in.

Beyond that I can't help much as I don't know ACPI at all well.

Take care,

Bill

--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C

--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C--