Subject: Re: In-Kernel Keyboard maps
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@liberouter.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/07/2005 08:44:58
Hi,

> what are we going to do about requests like kern/29615?
>
> I've previously heard the "userland keymap is enough" policy, which rejected
> such changes in favour of adding files to /usr/share/wscons/keymaps.
>
> I, myself, like to have the right keymap even if in DDB - so the userland
> map is not always enough. But I can see the "bloat" argument, of course.
>
> So, what to do?

Would there be a way to cleanly generate a kernel keymap source file
from userland keymap file? If so, necessary framework could be put
inside kernel build infrastructure and everyone would win -- while
keeping all keymaps just inside /usr/share/wscons/keymaps. The "add new
unicode symbols" part of PR's like the one you mention would probably
still need to be applied, causing no harm.

Just an idea, sorry if I'm hallucinating.

	Regards,
		-- Jachym Holecek