Subject: Re: more on mysql benchmark
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/06/2005 22:37:37
On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 05:38:09PM -0800, Chuck Silvers wrote:

>  - the read code should make sure that medium size (more than a page, smaller
>    than MAXPHYS) reads use the minimum number of disk I/Os (ie. 1) to fetch
>    the data.

This is actually a symptom of our discarding read-size information in
the middle of the VM system, no?  So, basically, every read looks like
a single-page fault (which is magically turned into two pages) but
readahead sometimes "rescues" us by causing a 64k read instead, which
is often what we want.

I have always thought that this was a pretty bogus way to do things!
The underlying interfaces can get multiple pages at once -- but between
read() and the filesystem, we "forget" that we wanted them.  Yuck.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky