Subject: Re: m_defrag() addition
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/02/2005 21:42:01
On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 07:12:40PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> I think it'd be better to just return the chain. While you're right that
> chances are we will just drop the packet, I think there are times we may
> want to do something different with it. Yes, that would be using this

Could you please provide an explicit example when we would want to do
'something different'?

The only place where it's going to be used is in the network drivers
and only when the original mbuf chain is not usable.  You don't
want to coalesce mbufs otherwise/elsewhere.  The old chain is freed
in case of error on all places where this routine is going to be
used.

Jaromir
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-
-=- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=-