Subject: Re: direct I/O
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/28/2005 15:02:05
matthew green said:

>WRT implementation, is this irix-alike or solaris-alike?  ie, for irix
>it is a per-fd thing, but for solaris, it is a per-vnode thing (ie,
>turing on O_DIRECT for a file does it for all users, not just this fd.)

With Solaris, I usually think of directio as being a per mount thing. In a
gross way, this is usually what is wanted for RDBMS and similar type apps
where there is a lot of writing/reading. The only way to increase throughput
beyond this is to go to Oracle raw io. which means that the overworked
sysadmin has to become an Oracle DBA. From what I've seen, Solaris directio
trumps *%^&% Veritas.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		http://www.rmkhome.com/