Subject: Re: LFS (was Thank you NetBSD)
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/23/2005 16:07:05
Jochen Kunz said:

>Still, would LFS be able to do what AdvFS can? (snapshots, extending and
>shrinking of filesystems, migration of file systems from one disk to an
>other, multiple file systems per partition, one file system spread over
>multiple partitions / disks, ... All this can, _must_ be done while the
>file system is _mounted_read/write_.)

Did they ever come out with fsck for AdvFS? I remember when it first came out
there was no supplied fsck. Saw a system crash and then try to find fsck on
reboot. Result? Filesystem trashed.

I've also seen Veritas fs crash from a power outage and not recover. I also
have a few stories about jfs and xfs.

NetBSD ffsv1 is very resilient to crashes. The only times that I've lost data
is when the underlying hardware was going south.

Solaris ufs has had problems in the past, but the addition of logging has made
it a much more stable filesystem.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		http://www.rmkhome.com/