Subject: Re: alsa?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/23/2005 14:59:29
--47eKBCiAZYFK5l32

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:34:06PM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> (I thought there was a hunk of binary-only code required for
> the ltmodem, too.  Am I mistaken?)

The point about the winmodems is that they're really just audio chips
with suitable line drivers for POTS use.  Several motherboards with
the AMD "audio modem riser" slot seem to show them up as an ac97
channel, even.  There's no reason you couldn't use this for (say)
something like a software answering machine, or audio phone spam, even
now.

All the modem stuff - MNP, V.42, trellis encoding, error correction,
etc - has to be done in software.  That would be the binary hunk
you're thinking of, but I gather there are projects working on
open-source implementations of this, too.

Can *you* whistle a buffer overflow sploit down the line? :)

--
Dan.
--47eKBCiAZYFK5l32

--47eKBCiAZYFK5l32--