Subject: Re: loaning for read() of regular files
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/22/2005 21:43:30
In message <20050223052206.GB21919@spathi.chuq.com>Chuck Silvers writes
>On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 02:56:50PM -0500, Stephan Uphoff wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 12:36, Chuck Silvers wrote:

>> I think that you also need to check if the individual pages that are
>> replaced (or shadowed - but I guess this is broken anyway) are wired to
>> avoid areas wired by uvm_vslock() :-(
>
>yea, that's true, I'll add it.

Are there yet more corner cases?  Is there any way to use a cheap
conservative test that says a page definitely *is* safe for read
loanout, rather than enumerating all the cases when it isn't safe
(and potentially missing some)?

Also: I assume it's benign, but have you to confirmed by testing that
read()ing through files much larger than physical memory isn't
penalized by the changes for loanout?