Subject: Re: SMP re-entrancy in kernel drivers/"bottom half?"
To: Kentaro A. Kurahone <kurahone@sigusr1.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/22/2005 15:35:55
On Feb 22, 2005, at 1:46 PM, Kentaro A. Kurahone wrote:

> I was sort of eyeing LRP (http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/Systems/LRP/)
> as something to look into.  After other code I have in progress
> stabilises though.

I looked at LRP a number of years ago (back in my NASA days).  I came
to the conclusion that is has some fundamental flaws, but I now can't
recall off the top of my head what they were.

One sticky scenario is "What about packets that are meant to be
forwarded?  You have to do some processing on those to even determine
that in the first place."

It seems to me that LRP could also be problematic for high-bandwidth
links where you are using very large TCP windows.  If you are always
deferring TCP processing until the application runs, you might be hard
pressed to keep the pipe full.

-- thorpej