Subject: Re: alsa?
To: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/22/2005 13:45:57
In message <Pine.OSF.4.58.0502221307230.18104@pegasus.cs.csubak.edu>,
Dave writes:

>On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Jonathan Stone wrote:

[...]

>> I'm not meaing to be snotty here, but seriously: why?

[snip lots]

>> Is there a compelling reason that I'm just not seeing?

[Snip impressive list of audio software which implicitly and
non-portably assumes ALSA API]

>What I really want isn't so much a port of ALSA to NetBSD, but an API
>layer on top of NetBSD's.

Ah. OK. Much as we have an OSS emulation layer from when OSS was the
default audio API in the penguin-guano world.  That does makes sense.
(And apologies to anyone who takes offense at the term "guano": I do
networking, and the Linux kernel networking code is known well, and
badly, in the networking research community. To the point where some
researchers justify their projects as giving _some_ structure to the
Linux networking code. But it puts me in mind of friends in New
Zealand who had penguins nest under their house.  So it goes.)