Subject: Re: alsa?
To: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/22/2005 13:03:37
In message <Pine.OSF.4.58.0502221046340.7415@pegasus.cs.csubak.edu>,
Dave writes:

>Is anyone still working on ALSA for NetBSD?  How far is it?  How much
>needs to be done?

I'm not meaing to be snotty here, but seriously: why?

Our audio framework doesn't have the shortcomings of the prior Linux
audio framework. So why would anyone work on ALSA for NetBSD in the
first place?  In order to (re)use ALSA drivers developed for Linux?

Surely there'd be sufficient source-code differences due to
differences in the surrounding kernels, bus I/O and DMA software
architecture (or absence thereof) that a Linux driver would be only a
guide for rewriting a NetBSD driver? (And for the same reasons, ALSA
object-only vendor drivers for Linux wouldn't be of use for NetBSD?)

Is there a compelling reason that I'm just not seeing?