Subject: Re: Moving to struct timespec in the kernel.
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/22/2005 09:58:41
On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 01:45:04AM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:
> Currently, the kernel uses struct timeval (time_t + microseconds)
> internally for the large majority.  However, POSIX created struct
> timespec (time_t + nanoseconds) and used it in clock_gettime(3), etc.
>
> I think it's time NetBSD moves to using struct timespec in the kernel.

I agree.  I also like the addition of pselect(2) and your proposal
for pollts(2).

I wonder if it would also be nice to add a nanosecond-resolution
version of EVFILT_TIMER (EVFILT_TIMESPEC_TIMER ?) to kqueue(2),
even though the timer is currently tied to the callout mechanism
and runs at 'tick' resolution.

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.netbsd.org/